Originally used as a watch chain in the Victorian era, this sterling silver “Albertina” can be worn today as a beautiful bracelet. Three chains are held together by silver balls, with an ornately hand-engraved oval centerpiece. The centerpiece has a lovely, scrolling pattern and features a wonderful patina—the tarnish is bold in the recesses of the engravings and highlights the design.
The center chain is a belcher link; the two outside chains are wheat chains. Combined, they have a graceful effect. At the end of the Albertina, the wheat chains coalesce into a tassel that can be worn off to the side. There is a dog clip on one end, and t-bar on the other, that clip together, making the watch chain wearable around the wrist.
An "Albertina" is the name given to a watch chain worn by women. These chains were popular during the Victorian era, along with Albert chains, named after and worn often by Queen Victoria's husband, Albert. An Albertina chain stands out with more delicate and decorative design qualities, like the small linked chain of this piece.
Circa 1890’s, this piece tests as sterling silver. The length of the chain including the tassel is 11”. The length from the dog clip to the t-bar is approximately 8”. It weighs 16.9 grams.